Are you thinking of starting a business on Etsy for 2019? In this post, I will go over how to get started in Etsy and which categories are the best.
Let’s get started!
Identify Your Passion
You probably want to sell on Etsy because you are a creative soul that wants to earn a living from doing stuff that you love. Before you decide on what you’re going to sell on Etsy you should ask yourself the following questions:
- What do you enjoy creating?
- What inspires you?
- What can you spend hours doing everyday?
- How can you take your passion and profit from it?
Define Your Niche
The next step before you opening your Etsy shop, its essential to identify your niche. I recommend choosing a niche that will set you apart from other Etsy shops and that you’re passionate about. If you aren’t passionate about your niche, you will most likely quit and and not put the required effort needed to build a thriving successful shop. Basically you’ll need to take your passion and find a niche for it.
Things to keep in mind when defining your niche:
- Make sure to pick a niche that has a high-demand, not too broad, or too narrow.
- Are you tackling a competitive niche but you don’t have sufficient time to dedicate to it?
- Treat your online business like any other business.
- Invest all the necessary time to find the best niche concept for your Etsy shop.
- Research other Etsy shops that have been open for a minimum of one year and measured their success.
If you’re having a hard time deciding on a niche find inspiration using Craft Count. This is a free tool that you can track top Etsy sellers in every category and get inspired. You can also take a look at my latest post 40 Passive Income Products to Sell On Etsy In 2019.
Make sure to join my Etsy Youtube channel here!
What To Sell On Etsy
- Digital Prints are a great way to make passive income.
2. Jewelry is one the top categories on Etsy. You can make a nice living selling all sorts of Jewelry on Etsy.
3. Clothing is another hot contender on Etsy.
4. Toys and Games are another great category for Etsy. If you currently handcraft toys then Etsy is the place to be.
5. Kids and Babies category are popular and trending items on Etsy.
6. The Vintage category is dedicated to featuring all sorts of older or antique items.
7. The Sticker category has grown in the past couple of years on Etsy.
8. The vinyl and heat transfer supplies is another hot category on Etsy.
I hope this list helps you on your Etsy journey in choosing a niche to get started on Etsy in 2019.
This is great information. I’m always looking to see what’s popular and trending on Etsy to see what to sell. I haven’t had much success finding this on the website, do you have any tips?
Yay! I’m glad you found the blog post helpful. Good luck in 2019!
How do you think of selling mugs, cushions covers, tote bags, and things like that? There are many shops like these but is true some of them has got ugly products…
Really good. I definitely want to look into selling on etsy!
Linda || Lindaroche.blogspot.com
Yes, it’s a great way to have a side hustle. Good Luck!
How can one compete with so much of similar things sold on Etsy?
Yes, it’s very hard when you sell similar items like others. This is where branding takes place to set yourself apart from the competition, market research, and really understanding who is your target audience. By doing and understanding all of these 3 components will help you set yourself apart.
I can’t wait to open my Etsy shop, I’m trying to learn as much as I can, so I can succeed. Than you for helping me.
I make 2 very separate types of items,sewing and “found” art, mixed media pieces. Would you recommend having 2 shops or can I sell both from the same storefront?
I recommend having 2 shops. You want your shop to be as niched down as possible.
So, Nancy, since I have both original art & digital prints (of both my original art & my photography and digital designs), I should have a separate shop for my digital prints?
And would you still list digital prints as ur 1st category today, nine months since 1st written?
Thanks so much!
I would keep both tangible and digital prints in the same shop. Yes, I love the easiness of digital prints but when you print you can always make more money.
Hi Nancy, Would I keep stenciling on wood, pillows, door mats in the same shop? Thank you
Yes, I would keep them in one shop. 🙂
Hey Nancy I make handmade gift item like albums explosion boxes etc. Do you think it will work if i sell this on etsy.My handmade albums are quite different from the albums i saw on etsy …they are full of elements and creative cards. Could you please assist i am new to etsy…Thankyou ????