Before you cancel any order in your Etsy shop, be sure to check that your transaction meets the requirements in Etsy’s cancellation policy.
You can quickly check Etsy’s cancellation policy by clicking here
How can a seller cancel an order on Etsy
An Etsy seller may cancel a transaction under the following circumstances:
- The buyer did not pay. (The seller may flag a buyer for a payment not received, chargeback, or canceled payment.)
- Both the buyer and seller agree to cancel the transaction before shipment, and the seller has issued the buyer a full refund.
- The seller has decided to refuse service to the buyer, and if the buyer has already paid, the seller has issued a full refund, including shipping.
- The buyer did not receive the item(s) ordered, even though the seller has provided proof of shipping, and the seller has issued a refund for the item. (Refunding shipping is optional, unless the buyer paid with Etsy Payments, in which case you’ll need to refund in full.)
- The buyer and seller agreed that the buyer could return the item to the seller for a refund. The seller has received the returned item and issued a refund to the buyer for the item. (Refunding shipping is optional, unless the buyer paid with Etsy Payments, in which case you’ll need to refund in full
Make sure to request a refund for any unused shipping labels and gather information from orders in order to keep records.
If you’re not able to complete the order, Etsy recommends that you notify the buyer though Etsy messages before canceling the transaction.
When you cancel the transaction, the buyer will receive a full refund.
Please note: The buyer may leave a review up to 48 hours after the cancellation.
How does a seller cancel an order on Etsy
- On Etsy.com, click Shop Manager.
- Click Orders & Shipping.
- Access the Cancel an order page, which can be done in two ways:
- Desktop only: Click the three-dot icon next to the order you want to cancel. Then, click Cancel.
- Desktop and mobile web: In the Order Detail overlay, click More actions. Then, click Cancel.
- Select a reason for the cancellation from the dropdown. You’ll then be able to see the refund amount due to the buyer.
- In the text box below the buyer’s refund total, you can write an optional message to your buyer.
- Click Cancel order.
If the order was made through Etsy payments, then you’re done. However, if the buyer paid through another method like PayPal, then as a seller you’ll need to refund them through that payment method.
I hope this blog post helps you with answering how do you cancel an order from Etsy. If you have any QUESTIONS? Let me know below!
And if you haven’t already, make sure you check out our FREE resources!
- Follow me on Instagram: @nancybadillo13
- Check out my YouTube HERE for more tips
- Join my FREE Facebook Group Daily Etsy Seller Tips
Rooting for you!
P.S. Have you attended my free masterclass yet to help you scale your Etsy business to the next level with my 4 step framework for a profitable Etsy shop. If not, CLICK HERE to register before seats fill up.